[Bp_ipv6] Governments supporting IPv6

Howard, Lee lee.howard at twcable.com
Mon Aug 31 11:23:32 EDT 2015

On 8/28/15, 8:33 AM, "Marco Hogewoning" <marcoh at ripe.net<mailto:marcoh at ripe.net>> wrote:

There is a positive correlation between countries whose governments require
their services to be provided over IPv6 and the number of large IPv6 web
site. It seems to be the case that if the government puts its web sites on
IPv6, the private sector operators who host those web sites and provide
connectivity for them develop the capability and expertise, which makes it
easier for enterprises to deploy their own web sites.

[…]

I think it¹s 7 of the top 10 countries for web sites with IPv6 enabled
have governments providing services over IPv6. Some smaller countries
just have a lot of foreign web sites dominating their web rankings.

Thank you for this very useful input Lee. Do you by any chance have a link to research or statistics that prove there is correlation to this point? It might make for a great case study on how public sector can stimulate the industry to adopt IPv6.

I have a working paper, which includes some case studies.

We’re trying to find time to update it and refine it.
Also presented at NANOG, https://www.nanog.org/sites/default/files/tuesday_general_publicpolicyapproach_lee_63.8%20%281%29.pdf (slides) and  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHJ-HxwcGeY (video).

Lee

Cheers,

Marco