[Bp_ipv6] Fwd: [ipv6-wg] New on RIPE Labs: Results of IPv6 Deployment Survey

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Tue Nov 15 09:21:35 EST 2016

Thank you Michael for sharing the reference, and Jordi for conducting and sharing the survey results.
I saw it posted on APNIC blog as well -  nice to see it widely distributed.

I also initially had the same question as Oliver, trying to figure out where it could fit.
Taking more time to look into it, this would fit in nicely in "Section 4.2.1. ISPs".

The survey describes the state of IPv6 deployment for ISPs per different access line services such as:

"Recent technologies such as FTTH (35%), xDSL (22%) and Cable/DOCSIS (20%) were among the most popular across the different regions. This result confirms that ISPs avoid investing in replacing CPEs, such as older DOCSIS 1 deployment, or first xDSL ones.""Looking at the evolution of the responses in previous months, and responses to question on transition mechanisms, I observed an increase in the deployment of CGN. At the same time there is a small increase in the usage of transition technologies such as 464XLAT (and in a minor proportion MAP T/E), in order to provide IPv6-only access to the residential customers, which is very consistent with what has been happening in cellular networks in the past few years."

My observation:
* ISPs tenancies to avoid investing in replacing CPEs is observed here as well - This matches with some of our case studies/observations/challenges
* It is interesting (and encouraging), that there is a small increase in use of native IPv6--> IPv4 transition technology.
* It mentions in "Takeaways" that users can affected when deploying IPv6 in web sites or other services, by ISP's lack of knowledge, misconfiguration.
   (Due to “IPv4-mind-set”as Michael has quoted)
   This leads to observation that these issues need to be addressed by more trainings
   This has synergy with a comment made by an interviewee at NANOG68 meeting where he observed some issues around IPv6 are based on misunderstanding due misconfiguration, and giving the impression IPv6 deteriorates service quality

Question to Jordi:

I didn't follow the logic here -  I'm probably missing something and would appreciate it if you could explain the rationale.
"31% of respondents indicated their IPv6 service is already commercial and another 17% indicated it is still in trial stages. Considering that 52% of respondents answered “no answer”, we can extrapolate that almost 64% of the responders have a commercial service."

  - My simple mind tells me that if "31% of respondents indicated their IPv6 service is already commercial", then % of respondents with IPv6 commercial service is "31%" (Not 64% as described).
  - Why would "no answer"(52%) be incorporated into % of respondents with (IPv6?) commercial service (64%)?

Izumi