[Bp_ipv6] Some information on IPv6 economies and providers

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at ripe.net
Mon Jul 11 04:33:59 EDT 2016

>> On 7 Jul 2016, at 10:31 PM, Marco Hogewoning <marcoh at ripe.net> wrote:
>>
>> All,
>>
>> As I mentioned, the attached slides formed the basis for a panel discussion we had ahead of the recent OECD Ministerial meeting in Cancun.
>>
>> Credit to APNIC as this is all done based on their IPv6 measurements and some other data the re-publish (such as GDP). This is unfortunately a lot of work to dig through if you want to make the same assessment for every country. In that sense we can probably use all the help we can get in further doing this analysis.
>>

> Marco,
>
> You mean like: http://www.potaroo.net/presentations/2015-05-14-ipv6-stats.pdf
>
> (A presentation from May last year when I was trying to find out whether IPv6 was exclusively a “rich ISP” club, or whether it was spread across a broader spectrum.)

Thank you Geoff, indeed this was the one that inspired me to do some digging.

Whether the actual value of an end user is something that really drives adoption it something for a nice discussion, maybe if you incorporate the idea of NAT throwing obstacles and delay in compare to IPv6, you can attach a number to “lost business” because you are IPv4. Not sure if that would be a big case.

What is most interesting in your preso is that it is only a few carriers that make all the difference right now. As for this project, there appear a few big parties who, cost or not, have a case for IPv6. Maybe it is worth going to their public results to see if they are doing better or worse compared to those who just keep throwing money at IPc4 and NATs, but it might be hard to come up with something like that in the relative short time frame we have.

You happen to know if somebody already looked into this kind of stuff?

Marco