[Bp_ipv6] Private Sector: Discussion Needed on Business experiences

Howard, Lee lee.howard at twcable.com
Sun Sep 27 09:44:29 EDT 2015

If I may paraphrase your prompts:

  1.  Examples of “economic factors” (cost savings or revenue gains) realized from using the new protocol
  2.  Examples of common challenges

You’ve already found the most recent, and most buzz-generating, example of the economic benefits. I would specifically quote Paul Saab saying, “When you make things faster, you drive other key business metrics in the positive direction.” [3:20]  I can only speculate as to what Facebook’s “other key business metrics” might be.

I’ve analyzed the expected cost savings. Specifically, I look at the “TCO of CGN” [1] and “TCO of IPv6” [2]. That work leads to my predictions for the IPv4 address market [3]—a cost which may be avoidable if IPv6 can become a substitution.

Tore Anderson talks about the simplicity of the IPv6-only data center [4]. This argument is borne out by Facebook.

Several people have tried to get companies to share their revenues and costs associated with IPv6, to help illustrate the business case. Those efforts have been unsuccessful, as far as I know, because firms consider that kind of information very private (and, I speculate, because costs are difficult to track for a long-term multi-project program, and revenues are difficult to associate with an infrastructure project).

As for the common challenges, there have been a couple of surveys, the most useful of which is the multi-year series (2010-2013) from the NRO [5].  APNIC [6] also did one.

I hope those are useful.

Lee

[1] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXf8ZIew1j0 (not my best presentation, and the snowfall is hypnotic)
[2] http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog56/presentations/Wednesday/wed.general.howard.24.wmv and http://www.wleecoyote.com/documents/TCO_of_CGN.pdf and http://www.wleecoyote.com/documents/pricing_v1.3.docx
[3] http://www.wleecoyote.com/documents/IPv4-supply-analysis.pdf
[4] https://ripe64.ripe.net/presentations/67-20120417-RIPE64-The_Case_for_IPv6_Only_Data_Centres.pdf
[5] https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Global-IPv6-Deployment-Survey-2013-final.pdf
[6]https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CDgQFjAHahUKEwj8_YTDqZfIAhXLXD4KHV8vDA4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apnic.net%2Fcommunity%2Fipv6-program%2FAPNIC-2010-03-04-ipv6-survey-outcome.ppt&usg=AFQjCNEBmdeEFXgOptzUf7tbqryZiDBdUw&sig2=LBDTfgz_Rcn5FamM16wxTw