[Bp_ipv6] Private Sector: Discussion Needed on Business experiences

Susan Chalmers susan at chalmers.associates
Sun Sep 27 04:58:19 EDT 2015

Greetings all,

Glenn, thanks kindly for spending some time with the running draft. I'm
taking the co-ordinator's prerogative to share your thoughts on the
section, below:

*"Business Perspective" can be interpreted very broadly - do we have a
sense of what to focus on here?Ideas: *

*#1 - businesses with web presences can support IPv6 by enabling support on
their web sites for IPv6. This is often a first step to a business using
IPv6.#2 - The corporate networks for many businesses likely already have
many components that already support IPv6. Certainly PCs, laptops, tablet,
phones with current versions of their operating system support IPv6.
Likewise the core routers and switches used by enterprises also should
support IPv6. It's the remaining steps of i) Obtaining and allocating IPv6
address spaces for the corporate network, ii) updating internal
applications to support IPv6, iii) updating legacy devices such as
printers, to work with IPv6 are the major steps to moving the enterprise to
using IPv6 internally.I'm just not sure what direction was intended for
this section*

What I was thinking is that, given the nature of the BPF as an exercise in
sharing best practices, we could have a few illustrations from the private
sector on their use/deployment of IPv6. Given where we are in the drafting
process, I reckon its best to solicit content and design the section
according to what we have received.

It's really a narrative about the experience of deployment. Important
(obvious to the present company) insights can come out of this. For
example, in consultation with one person I learned that it is oftentimes
the case that upstream providers can hamper a downstream provider's
deployment. Or, a business will deploy v6 but after a series of technical
faults, puts the project on hold.

I've seen recently this re FB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=_7rcAIbvzVY

I reckon if we can illustrate an "economic factor" or cost savings/gains
from using the new protocol it would be a win. But we also need to canvas
common challenges.

The floor is open for discussion. Please contribute your thoughts.

True, the section (as with all sections) have the ability to be rather
broad, but if we have at least three key insights from the private sector,
and a few case studies, we'd be serving the audience well.

susan at chalmers.associates