[Bp_ipv6] Looking for your thoughts - Section on End Users

Deen, Glenn (NBCUniversal) glenn.deen at nbcuni.com
Thu Sep 17 09:17:02 EDT 2015

Most consumers aren't aware of IPv6, no surprise there as consumers also aren't aware of what QAM standard their TV uses, or other technical details about the technology they use everyday.   That's very likely never to change.

However for consumers that are aware it's very difficult to find, choose, and configure IPv6 supporting CE Devices.

First, just identifying which devices offer IPv6 support can be very difficult as their is no standard for labeling this feature.    Compare that to TV sets , Media players etc which carry industry logos to show they support things like DTS sound, HD,  BluRay,  MP3 etc.

These official industry logos also typically are backed by a certification program that the device must pass to earn the logo, which highlights the second problem consumers face: Does the product actually work with the standard, even when it claims support.  Certification is a common practice in the CE world, but historically is very haphazard or even absent with home networked devices.  The certification program is typically created or at least endorsed by the standards organization which created the spec.   The standards org is driven to create the labeling and testing program as part of promoting their standard in the marketplace.  This has not been the practice however with open standards from groups like the IETF which don't promote their standards, but let adopters choose to adopt and implement their standards on their own without IETF promotion.

I'm not trying to fault the IETF here, as promotion and verification of compliance with its standards is outside the IETF charter, especially for CE products.    Yet, this leaves certification compliance testing and promotional logo unavailable for IPv6 devices.   The consumer has to hope it works, or read reviews by others more technical than they are, and hope they understand the necessary details.

Even when consumers buy a device that has IPv6, and fully complies with IPv6 standards there remains the challenge of correctly configuring the device to use IPv6.   There are no interface standards for how configuration features are labeled in Setup screens, nor is there a standard or even best practice for how the device alerts the consumer that it is using IPv6 - for example  there isn't an IPv6 equivalent to the 4G LTE shown on cell phones.

There are policy considerations here related to consumer education, consumer protection, and truth in marketing.

Regards
Glenn
-----
Glenn Deen - NBCUniversal

Sent from my iPad, please forgive any tpyos or auto connections