[Bp_ipv6] Should we touch on hardware concerns?

Howard, Lee lee.howard at twcable.com
Tue Sep 8 07:36:06 EDT 2015

On 9/7/15, 8:01 AM, "Bp_ipv6 on behalf of Marco Hogewoning"
<bp_ipv6-bounces at intgovforum.org on behalf of marcoh at ripe.net> wrote:

>All,
>
>The background document paragraph 54 briefly touches upon the
>availability of IPv6 support in hardware and we are contemplating on if
>and how to include any advise in the output document addressing these
>concerns.
>
>I personally think that we can safely argue that there still is a steady
>stream of non-IPv6-capable devices being connected to the Internet, both
>in the wholesale chains (provider supplied or recommended CPE), as well
>as in the retail markets with for example small switches and wifi
>routers. With end user awareness being very low these devices form an
>obstacle to widespread use of IPv6, even in networks that are fully IPv6
>capable.

I think it¹s reasonable to mention the slower adoption of IPV6 in
consumer/retail devices than other market segments. Some devices, such as
TVs and game consoles, can be updated to support IPv6 (according to
conversations with their manufacturers). Other devices are less likely to
get firmware updates; many devices, including home routers, do not
routinely get updates. This is also a security problem.

I want us to be specific here, because equipment for mobile and landline
carriers has good support (or alternatives with good support). WiFi
carrier equipment has very irregular support right now.

We should also note that this will be one area of work that will very
quickly be out of date.

Lee