[Bp_ipv6] Request for clarification NAT v NAT

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 13:30:52 EST 2015

Sent from my Asus Zenfone2
Kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 26 Nov 2015 17:04, "Susan Chalmers" <susan at chalmers.associates> wrote:

> Thanks Alejandro.
>
>  For an IPv4-only endpoint to interwork with an IPv6-only service, and
vice-versa,  translation between IPv4 and IPv6 is required. Network Address
Translation, described above, not only permits multiple devices to share
one IP address, but it also plays an important role in deploying IPv6 in
conjunction with IPv4 and allows IPv4 and IPv6 to interwork. This
translation is also referred to as Address Family Translation (AFT).

SO:  The technology that allows v4 and v6 to communicate (one of such
mechanism being NAT64) is not the same with that which allows multiple
devices to communicate on the Internet using one IP (which is NAT, NAT44,
even NAT444...etc ;-) )

> These are two different purposes to the layperson - saving space and
internetworking. Perhaps I'm being too specific for my own good?

SO: Yes you are right they are 2 different purposes but there are also 2
different technologies that achieves each of the purpose. So in essence,
It's a combination of both NAT64 and NAT that would make what you've
described above possible.

That said, if we are talking about v6 promotions, then we should get NAT
out of the picture as much as possible. NAT64 should also remain in the
picture just for a while (though that could be a long time from now).

Regards

alejandroacostaalamo at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hi Susan,
>>   Is there any part of the document that particularly worries you?
>>   I just took a quick look to the document in the review platform and
for me the explanation looks quite good.

>>   But anyhow this is very difficult topic to summarize in few words and
unfortunately I presume few people will complain with whatever definition
we use.
>>   From my point of view the definition & function found in Wikipedia is
great: "Network address translation (NAT) is a methodology of remapping one
IP address space into another by modifying network address information in
Internet Protocol (IP) datagram packet headers while they are in transit
across a traffic routing device"

>> Regards,
>>
>> Alejandro,
>>

>> El 11/26/2015 a las 10:43 AM, Susan Chalmers escribió:
>>>
>>> Hello colleagues,
>>>
>>> During the discussion, the function of NAT was originally described as
the address space saving kind, and so this was how NAT was treated in the
paper. Through comments made on the review platform, other functions of NAT
were described - more or less enabling translation and thus necessary and
helping the transition.

>>> I want to be sure that the differences here are clear to the reader.
Could someone help shed a bit of light at a high level?