[Bp_ipv6] Scheduling an initial call; gentle reminder for feedback on Scope and Goals

Susan Chalmers susan at chalmers.associates
Wed May 13 05:12:38 EDT 2015

Dear all,

We would like to schedule an introductory call next week to discuss the
Scope and Goals of the Best Practice Forum on IPv6 Adoption.

A few of us will find ourselves in the same spot for the MAG meetings in
Geneva, and we reckon this would be a good opportunity to coordinate
discussion and plan. The IGF Secretariat will provide WebEx facilities for
our call.

*Could you kindly fill the Doodle poll, indicating your availability to
join a WebEx call? The link to the poll is:
http://doodle.com/9hxuhmuqczc8p6rk <http://doodle.com/9hxuhmuqczc8p6rk>*

Also, this is a gentle reminder for your feedback on the Scope and Goals;
its purpose is to provide helpful orientation for participants. Please let
us know your thoughts on the below:

*Scope and Goals for the BPF on IPv6 Adoption*

*Introduction*
Widespread adoption of IPv6 will be important to maintaining the global
reach and integrity of the Internet. Following this wide-spread adoption,
the eventual transition to IPv6 will only be successful when we, as a
community, are all moving together at the same time. Adoption of IPv6 by a
single entity is often a challenge; it is not useful if one organization
alone adopts IPv6 when majority of the Internet is based on IPv4. The
long-term sustainability of the network and success of the Internet to
accommodate IPv6 depends on getting more organisations to adopt IPv6.

By documenting best practices regarding measures and activities for
creating an environment that accommodates IPv6 adoption, we hope to provide
the global Internet community with helpful information that can help guide
stakeholders in this exercise.

There are ways in which different stakeholders with different roles can
each contribute to IPv6 adoption. This Best Practice Forum gives all
stakeholders the opportunity to contribute.

*Purpose*
The Purpose of the 2015 Internet Governance Forum Best Practice Forum on
IPv6 Adoption is to document best practices on activities and measures for
an environment that supports IPv6 adoption, which we will share through
open, multistakeholder discussion on the dedicated mailing list.

*Guiding principles*
Participants are encouraged to share real-life stories of successful and,
more importantly, unsuccessful initiatives for IPv6 adoption; we oftentimes
learn a great deal from unsuccessful experiences.
The Forum discussion is open to all who are interested and willing to
contribute constructively, guided by these Scope and Goals;
The Forum should avoid duplication of the work already being conducted;
The focus of Forum discussion should be on practical information sharing,
rather than theory;
The information we will compile should be neutral, not for commercial
promotion.

*Scope*
As an Internet issue, IPv6 adoption encompasses a broad range of
sub-issues, affecting multiple actors and different stakeholders. It will
be helpful to define the scope of our discussion at the outset, for a more
focused dialogue.

The scope of the BPF on IPv6 Adoption discussion will focus on the best
practices on measures and activities for an environment which supports IPv6
adoption, and, in particular, measures and activities taken at global,
regional and local levels.
Technical best practices on IPv6 adoption, which are covered by existing
efforts by experts in this area, is outside of the scope of this group.

*Working methodology*
The discussions at the BPF on IPv6 will be guided by Technical Community
MAG members Izumi Okutani, Susan Chalmers, and German Valdez.
The designated mailing list will be the primary working channel of the BPF
on IPv6. Information on the mailing list is available here:
The group will likely convene WebEx calls from time to time, with the
assistance of the IGF Secretariat.
The final document will be produced by a consultant engaged by the IGF
Secretariat.

*Questions*
Do you think the above information is sufficient for a general Scope and
Goals description? What do you think is missing? What do you think can be
removed?
In terms of Scope, there are a number of ways in which we can further
refine the document - for example by focusing on one or more group needing
best practices according to their situation. Below are three suggestions to
kick start discussion:
Creating a reference for governments looking to create an enabling
environment for IPv6 adoption by industry players in their economy;
Creating a reference for someone looking for community/collaborative
efforts to promote IPv6 adoption in collaboration with key stakeholders in
their community;
Creating a reference for someone considering IPv6 adoption in their network
but do not know the resources to look for.

Many thanks, all the best, and we hope to hear from you soon!

susan at chalmers.associates