[Bp_ipv6] Call for Comments for Contents of the "Problem Definition/Introduction" [ Before Mon 8th June UTC2:00am]

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Fri Jun 5 12:15:36 EDT 2015

Hi Marco and all,

> As to the problem statement itself, maybe we include something regarding "creating the right environment that allows for coordination between different actors in the Internet value chain". One of the bigger issues we seem to keep being confronted with are the "X has to do this, so I can do Y" and this is where things get stuck.
>
> As with Miwa, we probably have documents describing both X and Y in detail, where this effort could become useful is to identify ways to make sure these dependencies can be resolved by coordinating between the different actors and stakeholders, which fits neatly in the bigger IGF picture of binging everybody together.

Indeed, I totally agree this is the core problem we would like to address as the IGF forum, taking into account of multistakeholder nature of the IGF as well as the nature of the challenges on IPv6.
This is what I have attempted to describe in the "Introduction" of the Scope and Goals with fellow coordinators, but I realise from your feedback this message is not coming through as clear enough as intended.

I have incorporated your input in the draft "Problem Definition" - * mark is where I added your feedback.
Please make further edits as needed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sGKIzpw8CvR1Gpi7rjXL63OLxk8llHcWn-3K7Bg88hI/edit?usp=sharing

---
Widespread adoption of IPv6 is important to maintaining the global reach and integrity of the Internet. Following wide-spread adoption, the eventual transition to IPv6 will only be successful when we, as a community, are all moving together at the same time. Adoption of IPv6 by a single entity is often a challenge; it is not useful if one organization alone adopts IPv6 when the majority of the Internet is based on IPv4. *Creating the right environment that allows for coordination between different actors in the Internet value chain is the key in addressing it. One of the bigger challenges on encouraging IPv6 adoption are the "X has to do this, in order for an organization or a particular service layer to do “Y" in adopting IPv6. This is where it creates barriers in its adoption.*

The long-term sustainability of the network and success of the Internet to accommodate IPv6 depends on getting more organisations to adopt IPv6. There are ways in which different stakeholders with different roles can each contribute to IPv6 adoption.
---

Wish everyone on the list attending EuroDIG a fruitful rest of the meeting.
It looks like good discussions are taking place from the tweets I see.