[Bp_ipv6] A review of the discussion to date on the Problem Definition

Pablo Hinojosa pablo at apnic.net
Thu Jun 4 04:58:38 EDT 2015

Hi Susan,

I agree with the use of online docs (either google or via wiki) for better tracking of comments and versions. Thank you for making these available.

Pablo

From: Susan Chalmers <susan at chalmers.associates<mailto:susan at chalmers.associates>>
Date: Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 3:22 AM
To: "bp_ipv6 at intgovforum.org<mailto:bp_ipv6 at intgovforum.org>" <bp_ipv6 at intgovforum.org<mailto:bp_ipv6 at intgovforum.org>>
Subject: [Bp_ipv6] A review of the discussion to date on the Problem Definition

Greetings, all,

I'm looking forward to the call this evening (my evening, that is). Thanks to everyone for the great discussion over the past two weeks.

In reviewing the discussion to date, and based upon contributions received, I've added edits to the Scope and Goals<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nQe8_Sp-7L17UYIQ81wH5Czz9qg0taGZ_52CyYUYlNo/edit?usp=sharing>. I have also started a document for the Problem Definition<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sGKIzpw8CvR1Gpi7rjXL63OLxk8llHcWn-3K7Bg88hI/edit?usp=sharing>.

[On an administrative note, is everyone okay with using Google Docs as a platform for collaborative drafting?]

If you're joining the call from a laptop/desktop, I was thinking that it would be good to have these documents open; I'd like to take notes/make edits in real time during the call.

You will have seen the agenda that Izumi circulated. The focus of our upcoming discussion will be on the Problem Definition and the Scope and Goals document.

Below, individual comments.

@Glenn, thanks for parsing the different stages of adoption into three parts. I think this is helpful and, to the extent we can, it would be nice if we could describe best practices for all three. That is one way to frame part of the paper. What does everyone think about this idea? I've added this framing to the draft Problem Definition outline.

@Matthew, thanks for distinguishing between listing the benefits/reasons for adopting IPv6 from describing the policy practices that work or do not work for adopting IPv6. I've added this point to the "Purpose" section of the Scope and Goals.

@Miwa, thanks for sharing information on APNIC's stakeholder-specific work in this area. I have added the Government messaging to the draft outline of the Problem Definition.

[As a side note, to all, I was wondering whether "Problem Definition" is the best phrase for this document? I see it as eventually being the introductory chapter of the outcome document - more like an Introduction/Background/Preface. Something to discuss on the call.]

I think it would be nice to have stakeholder-specific messaging for all groups, as Izumi illustrated. This is something we can address in the paper itself as more examples come in - another framing question. I've also emphasized the need for the BPF to compliment and not duplicate the work being done in this area by RIRs, etc. Please let me know Miwa if I've captured your concerns adequately.

@Izumi, thanks for your helpful framing of the Problem Definition outline. I've added the introduction language you've quoted into the draft. I have also added the "motivational factors" and, conceptually, separated them into aspirational or positive motivations, and "negative" motivations, or, otherwise put - the urgency reasons. It would be great to know if this framing sits well with everyone, or if we need to change it.

@Sanjaya Pursuant to your email I've added a section in the Scope and Goals for "Target Audience" and have listed "Governments, Policymakers, and Business (CxO)."

@Miwa, Nathalie - I've sent your references to Carl at the IGF Secretariat so that they can be uploaded to the dedicated webpage<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/2008-igf-hyderabad/event-reports/78-best-practice-forum/2162-ipv6#documents> at intgovforum.org<http://intgovforum.org>.

To all, please have a look at the two documents and do share your thoughts and views. Thanks all in advance for your consideration.

susan at chalmers.associates<mailto:susan at chalmers.associates>

CHALMERS & ASSOCIATES