[Bp_ipv6] Agenda for our 2nd call 6/4 Re: Virtual Call IPv6, June 4, 00.00 UTC - Registration link

Izumi Okutani izumi at nic.ad.jp
Wed Jun 3 04:26:02 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Just a clarification that June 4 24:00 UTC was intended to mean the midnight UTC between 3rd and 4th June.
It was used to mean the same as June 4 UTC0:00, and not + 1 day - in case anyone found it confusing.

FYI, for the suggested agenda -

Agenda 3. Problem Statement and Target:
 - I have updated the text below as a reference for discussions, which has reflected inputs from Sanjaya and Miwa.

Agenda 4.Fix Scope and the Goals:
 - Susan, Wim and I suggest adding the sentences below as a part of the "Principles" to give more clarity.

   "The best path forward to helping IPv6 adoption in a given community will depend on the particular characteristics of the locale (technical, economic, the level of training, etc.).
    This BPF will seek to collect and describe best practices across a number of different situations at a certain moment, to assist the broadest possible range of situations.
    The intent is not to define any one, normative solution to assist with IPv6 adoption. "

 - A few words added to Guiding Principles d: f Forum discussion should be on practical information sharing, rather than theory "or description of an ideal situation"
   "" = the part added

 - Scope c added to reflect inputs from Marco and Natalie: Suggested by Susan and all coordinators agreed

We have been circulating draft Scope and the Goals for sometime: http://intgovforum.org/pipermail/bp_ipv6_intgovforum.org/2015-April/000002.html
Therefore, if we don't identify anything which needs a revision after discussions problem definition and target, this hopefully could be agreed and fixed without taking too much time.

I am also planning to share the suggested timeline for the group in roughly 7 hours from now.

Izumi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Motivation Factor/Background *
   Why IPv6?
   Internet Protocol (IP) addresses uniquely identify devices on the Internet. Currently, almost all devices connected to networks use the IP version 4 (IPv4) address system. IPv4 has more than 4 billion possible address combinations,
   but these are being used up quickly as shown in: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/ [Possibly expand explanation]. Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) was developed to ensure the continued growth and innovation of
   the Internet. IPv6 offers an extremely large (2128) address space, as each address is 128 bits long, rather than 32 bits.

   Key business drivers for IPv6
   IPv6 enables the sustainable growth of the Internet. This in itself is a major motivation to deploy IPv6, but it also provides the possibility for new services and business opportunities on large-scale IP installations e.g.
   smartphones, smart grid initiatives, and cloud computing. These have all driven an increase in demand for IP addresses.

   [Wording needs revisions as this is from APEC TEL paper: http://www.apec.org/Home/Groups/SOM-Steering-Committee-on-Economic-and-Technical-Cooperation/Working-Groups/~/media/Files/Groups/TEL/2010_APEC-TEL-IPv6-guidelines-FINAL.ashx]

 * Introduction/Problem definition *
   - Widespread adoption of IPv6 will be important to maintaining the
     global reach and integrity of the Internet. Following this
     wide-spread adoption, the eventual transition to IPv6 will only be
     successful when we, as a community, are all moving together at the
     same time. Adoption of IPv6 by a single entity is often a challenge;
     it is not useful if one organization alone adopts IPv6 when majority
     of the Internet is based on IPv4. The long-term sustainability of
     the network and success of the Internet to accommodate IPv6 depends
     on getting more organisations to adopt IPv6.

   - There are ways in which different stakeholders with different roles
     can each contribute to IPv6 adoption such as:

     [List examples of Stakeholders]
     Governments and policy makers
       How can governments and policy makers support an environment that encourages IPv6 adoption by industry players in their economy?
       (e.g. by sharing information, setting a role model, facilitating dialogue among industry players, supporting capacity building of the environment, creating financial incentives?);
       # APEC TEL paper may give us a starting point to list the measures and activities which can be taken by governments

      Question: Anyone else to add as the stakeholders?
       Research and academia: How research and academia can help in sharing the general picture of the status of IPv6 adoption?
       Community/Forum: How we can Community/Forum share information, build general sentiment, raise awareness towards IPv6 adoption
       Nonprofit projects and activities: How it can help in raising awareness, motivate for specific actions, capacity building
       Role per services: What can the various service providers for: fixed line access, mobile access, data centers, applications and contents providers, suppliers of products do to help IPv6 adoption?
       # APEC TEL paper may give us a starting point to list the stakeholders

     # A suggestion is made to define "IPv6 Adoption" as the problem statement.
       Another point is made that this would have lots of technical/technological aspects which technical stakeholders have been dealing.

 * Target of this document *
    From what has been listed in the group so far:

    -  Governments and policy makers (Listed by several participants, no objections observed)
    -  All executives of all industries (CxOs): including Finance and HR executives for example

    -  Possible other stakeholders from the course of the discussions:
       Suppliers of products?
       Industry Association of the suppliers?
       Business Users? (Users of those equipment)
       Those who wish to build a community/Forum (e.g. IPv6 TF)?

    Question: Ayone else? Do we consider all stakeholders in IPv6 adoption as the target of this document or do we just focus on (a) certain stakeholder(s) as the target of this document?