[Bp_ipv6] IPv6 Task Forces: Let's get this conversation started!

Miwa Fujii miwa at apnic.net
Thu Jul 30 03:12:59 EDT 2015

Hi Susan et al.,

I have three input to the following thread:

"Has anyone else on this list have any experience with producing a set of
policy recommendations to their government? If so, please feel welcome
to share.”

1. Set of recommendations
=======================
APNIC has collected different governments’ efforts in increasing adoption IPv6 through partnership between private sector and public sector.    Pls see:

https://www.apnic.net/community/ipv6-program/ipv6-for-governments

Based on this past study, we think following sets of recommendations can provide useful input to governments stakeholders.

  *   Mandate for IPv6 readiness in government procurement forms for ICT goods and services
  *   Conduct research on IPv6 readiness in the industry
  *   Develop policies, guidelines, and roadmaps to enable IPv6 in government and network infrastructure
  *   Subsidize IPv6 skilling up for industry members to support human capacity development
  *   Lead the industry by example in adopting IPv6
  *   Partnership between government and industry
  *   Include the necessity of IPv6 deployment in ministerial statements

2. Example: APEC TEL IPv6 Guidelines
==============================
APNIC has collaborated with APEC TEL member economies to develop APEC TEL IPv6 Guidelines in 2010.  I think this document has still relevance to government stakeholders.

During developing this document, APEC TEL member economies gave serious consideration to make workable guidelines for all APEC TEL member economies which have diversified Internet development status.

http://www.apec.org/Groups/SOM-Steering-Committee-on-Economic-and-Technical-Cooperation/Working-Groups/~/media/Files/Groups/TEL/2010_APEC-TEL-IPv6-guidelines-FINAL.ashx

3. Short comment on IPv6 in mobile networks
As mobile networks are becoming a driving force of growth of Internet subscriptions, it would be helpful for regulators to be aware importance of sufficient IP address for mobile networks  in addition to radio frequencies. I think it would be useful to mention this aspect briefly somewhere in the IGF v6 document.

More information is available from:
https://www.apnic.net/community/ipv6-program/ipv6-for-mobile-networks

Hope this helps.

Miwa