[Bp_ipv6] IPv6 Task Forces: Let's get this conversation started!

Alejandro Acosta alejandroacostaalamo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 00:54:06 EDT 2015

Hi Susan,
  Thanks for your time reading the Venezuelan's case and looking for the
LACTF twitter account.
  My comments inline:

El 7/23/2015 a las 10:24 PM, Susan Chalmers escribió:
> Thank you kindly, Nathalie and Alejandro,
>
> We are collecting different practices and illustrations through the
> aforementioned survey, so people are welcome of course to dedicate
> their energies there on IPv6 Task Forces (and other practices of course).
>
> We may as well also make use of this list for discussion in the
> meantime. Oftentimes things come up in conversation that end up being
> particularly valuable for the outcome document.
>
> @Alejandro - thanks for sharing information on the regional LAC-TF
> <http://portalipv6.lacnic.net/en/> (I'm now a follower on twitter)

Good!.., I saw the email from twitter, now I'm following you back (until
the new chair gets full control of the twitter accounts :-)

> and your "local" example (using the local/regional/global categories)
> in Venezuela. The policy paper that you pointed us to is
> one /excellent/ example of what we are looking for. I'm going to
> /paraphrase/ from the paper, if you don't mind, to show others on the
> list the recommendations to government.

No problem at all..., the information is public.

>  1. require the sites and systems of institutions & public sector
>     agencies to support IPv6 & IPv4 concurrently.
>  2. empower the national regulator to ensure that hardware in
>     Venezuela whether imported or domestic (Alejandro, would
>     appreciate your confirmation here) supports IPv6 and IPv4
>     concurrently.

Exactly, this is part of our suggestions within the document.

>  1. require the national regulator to do what it needs to do to ensure
>     that domestic ISPs support IPv6 in coexistence with IPv4.
>  2. _require_ the National Telecommunications Commission CONATEL,
>     implementation of necessary actions so that Internet Service
>     Providers ISPs set their plans for addressing and based on the
>     same start procedures for requesting resources IPv6 addressing.
>      <------(this one I did not paraphrase, as I don't quite understand)

What we are looking for is Conatel to encourage ISPs to deploy IPv6. One
way (BTW, this could be another practice) is to give tax discounts to ISPs

> At your discretion, it would be nice to have an update on the
> reception of these recommendations by the government, if appropriate
> and available. When you presented these to the policymakers, what
> examples or hypotheticals did you find to be most convincing for them?
> How do you best convey the importance of IPv6 adoption?

Of course!. It was given to Conatel's president in a very important
meeting, Rodrigo de la Parra was there. Here is his tweet:
https://twitter.com/rdelapar/status/499284689367363585/photo/1
In the other hand, the case was presented by Gregorio Manzano
(Venezuelan IPv6 enthusiast) during Lacnic 23. It's available here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSdvX2bYNM

> Speaking of hypotheticals, I enjoyed this one:
> http://portalipv6.lacnic.net/en/the-sad-tale-of-the-isp-that-didnt-deploy-ipv6/

Great!.
A group of Mexican friends also created an animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DOcc18Bj2U  (unfortunately only in
Spanish, it would be great to have it in other languages)

Regards,
Alejandro,