[Bp_ipv6] IPv6 Task Forces: Let's get this conversation started!

Susan Chalmers susan at chalmers.associates
Thu Jul 23 22:54:27 EDT 2015

Thank you kindly, Nathalie and Alejandro,

We are collecting different practices and illustrations through the
aforementioned survey, so people are welcome of course to dedicate their
energies there on IPv6 Task Forces (and other practices of course).

We may as well also make use of this list for discussion in the meantime.
Oftentimes things come up in conversation that end up being particularly
valuable for the outcome document.

@Alejandro - thanks for sharing information on the regional LAC-TF
<http://portalipv6.lacnic.net/en/> (I'm now a follower on twitter) and your
"local" example (using the local/regional/global categories) in Venezuela.
The policy paper that you pointed us to is one *excellent* example of what
we are looking for. I'm going to *paraphrase* from the paper, if you don't
mind, to show others on the list the recommendations to government.

   1. require the sites and systems of institutions & public sector
   agencies to support IPv6 & IPv4 concurrently.
   2. empower the national regulator to ensure that hardware in Venezuela
   whether imported or domestic (Alejandro, would appreciate your confirmation
   here) supports IPv6 and IPv4 concurrently.
   3. require the national regulator to do what it needs to do to ensure
   that domestic ISPs support IPv6 in coexistence with IPv4.
   4. *require* the National Telecommunications Commission CONATEL,
   implementation of necessary actions so that Internet Service Providers ISPs
   set their plans for addressing and based on the same start procedures for
   requesting resources IPv6 addressing.  <------(this one I did not
   paraphrase, as I don't quite understand)

At your discretion, it would be nice to have an update on the reception of
these recommendations by the government, if appropriate and available. When
you presented these to the policymakers, what examples or hypotheticals did
you find to be most convincing for them? How do you best convey the
importance of IPv6 adoption?

Speaking of hypotheticals, I enjoyed this one:
http://portalipv6.lacnic.net/en/the-sad-tale-of-the-isp-that-didnt-deploy-ipv6/

Has anyone else on this list have any experience with producing a set of
policy recommendations to their government? If so, please feel welcome to
share.

Cheers,

susan at chalmers.associates