[Bp_ipv6] Draft Timelies

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at ripe.net
Tue Jul 14 09:57:35 EDT 2015

Hi Izumi,

Thanks for sharing this.

Major concern for me is the order of things. Would strongly advise to delay the call for contributions until we narrowed down the text for the background document.

The BG as I understood should be the introduction and guide the responses we collect. Opening the call before this document is (nearly) finished opens for some risks

- We might get irrelevant responses that are all over the place and/or out of scope
- Consolidating them into a coherent document in line with the BG becomes very hard
- Ignoring them will be even harder, opening up to all sorts of complaints to the process

So I would rather focus the coming two weeks to two main things:

- As a group strategies to where to solicit for contributions, making sure we get balanced input from different stakeholders
- Wrap up the main body of the BG to have at least a final draft when the call goes out and refer to it as guidance

Further down in the process:

- Just open the call for all categories at once, using BG to scope, steer and keep responses manageable.

We probably can’t draft all together, so why not have Wim go over a few iterations where we have short but clearly defined cycles where a draft is open for comments. I would also encourage the coordinators to clearly define the drafting process (UN-style) and after the first round of comments use bracketed text presenting alternatives for the group to discuss. This will focus the discussion on the controversial points and hopefully makes it easier to reach rough consensus on the outcome documents.

Cheers,

MarcoH
PS: maybe also tighten down the method of editing the BG document, formalising the process just a tiny bit more