[IGFmaglist] [Evolintgov2014] Next Steps: Way Forward Evolution of Internet Governance Ecosystem/Role of IGF ­ (Reaction to NETmundial + CSTD, WSIS, ITU, other fora.)

Subi Chaturvedi subichaturvedi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 02:34:39 EDT 2014

Thanks Mathew for your expression of interest in being a speaker for the
session. Noted. You will indeed add value.

Bringing the new volunteers up to speed, the session had originally been
envisaged by way of suggestion, to be a townhall format organised around a
deep well, since the hosts and the secretariat have been kind enough to
support the innovation in format. Where there only be resource persons,
facilitators, who may make initial remarks for about 3-4 minutes each.
Drawn from a multitude of organisations, regions, representing stakeholder
and gender balance and diversity in approach and opinion.

Hoping for an ideal win-win, where the session remains interactive and we
keep maximum time for interventions from the participants. It is an
experiment to 'unpanel', the panel. Where there are no panelists speaking
from a distance, to do away with the pedestal and with it, the top down
distant approach of a main-main, literally and figuratively.

Contributions in shaping the session and suggestions for
facilitators(erstwhile speakers), who will lay out key issues and
organisational contributions are indeed welcome.

Also while I agree that some of us might have heard the established leaders
speak to key issues before and interventions might sound familiar, there
are many who are first time participants at the IGF or are relatively new
or new-old. There is value in also upholding quality interventions from
these leaders, who I believe still have a lot to contribute in building the
knowledge agenda, educating and increasing awareness amongst new
stakeholders who are at various levels in the IG ecosystem and are not
privy to the same insights that these leaders are or some of us might be.
Moreover the IG ecosystem over the past two years alone is rapidly
undergoing a transformation, new processes, initiatives, commissions and
new challenges abound. Keeping pace can be well daunting and downright
impossible for many especially where there is a gap that exists between
information generators, keepers and consumers. Capacity building and
contributing to the knowledge agenda is also a key objective here.

We recognise the need to constantly endeavour, to have a conversation where
the community listens to each other and all efforts are made to encourage
speakers/facilitors who are new from developing countries, represent small
island nations, help improve stakeholder balance by voicing concerns of
underrepresented stakeholder groups with gender balance and regional
diversity. There is no one size fits all. And we hope with such resourceful
contributors this panel will be anything but. I hope we can revisit the our
individual knowledge bases and continue to work towards this.

I also hope we can jointly work together to make this main constructive by
thinking outside the box, proactively.

The two co-leads will be co-ordinating inputs over the weekend. All the
volunteers are therefore requested to please provide their inputs,
suggestions, ideas and recommendations on content, format, speakers, policy
questions in the next couple of days.

So that we may move forward.

It is imperative that we take an approach which is result driven
especially, if we're looking at new facilitators who will speak from
respective stakeholder groups. We are required to give them sufficient
notice to enable their participation, to have the best strategic fit for
this session. The contributions received already from MAG members have been
of immense value. I thank them all and hope that they will continue to
engage.

The draft will then be circulated early next week to enable a meaningful
and substantive discussion on the next call.

regards

Subi