During the 2nd meeting of the Internet Governance Forum in Rio de Janeiro (12-15 November 2007), ITU organized the workshop “Making Accessibility a Reality in Emerging Technologies and the Web”. The event brought together experts from around the world to examine the best way to resolve accessibility needs in ICT and emerging technologies and the Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability was created then.
Users of telecommunications and information technology have a varied capability of handling information and the controls of their presentation. The source of this variation lies in cultural and educational backgrounds, as well as on age-related functional limitations, in disabilities, and in other natural causes.
More info on DCAD at the official website: Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability
The Dynamic Coalition on Accessibility and Disability will facilitate interaction between relevant bodies, and ensure that ICT accessibility is included in the key debates around Internet Governance in order to build a future where all sectors of the global community have equal access to the Information Society.
We are convinced that the entire community can benefit from an “accessible ICT world," as people can be permanently or temporarily disabled due to personal, environmental (e.g., a phone call in a noisy environment) or cultural (e.g., spoken language diversity) conditions. Moreover, we will all grow old and lose abilities that we take for granted now, thus enlarging the part of the population that would benefit from accessible communication. We cannot allow isolation of a part of the population due to lack of appropriate functionality that prevents the use of ICT resources by everybody to the fullest possible degree.
- Hyderabad Declaration on IGF Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities (approved at the DCAD 1st Meeting, 6 December 2008)
A mailing list has been set up to facilitate discussions among DC partners; please note that subscription is mandatory in order to be able to send/receive information to/from this list.
Mailing list address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to the mailing list: http://lists.igf-dcad.org/listinfo.cgi/dcad-igf-dcad.org
Alternatively, to subscribe to the list please send your request to email@example.com, indicating name, affiliation and the email address to be subscribed.
The coalition is open to any organization, entity or individual working in the field, including Standard Developing Organizations (SDOs).
- Lydia Best
- Peter Crosbie
- Judith Hellerstein
Partners: Organizations and Institutions
Current coalition partners include individual representatives and affiliates representing the following organizations and institutions:
- Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)
- Council of Europe
- Digital Accessible Information System Consortium (DAISY)
- Global Initiative for Inclusive ICTs (G3ict)
- International Center for Disability Resources on the Internet (ICDRI)
- Internet Society (ISOC)
- Argentina Chapter of Internet Society (ISOC-AR) [In Spanish]
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- Mais Diferenças[In Portuguese]
- Nigerian Communications Commission(NCC)
- Pacific Islands Chapter of the Internet Society (PICISOC)
- People Who
- The Centre for Internet and Society
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- W3C Web Accessibility Initiative(WAI)
- Clara-Luz Alvarez (Rapporteur Q20, ITU-D Study Group 1)
- Anup Kumar Das (UNESCO, India)
- Elaine Farah (ictQatar)
- Rakesh Chand (United Blind Persons of Fiji - UBP)
- Glen E. Farrelly (ISOC, Ontario, Canada)
- Anju Mangal (PICISOC)
- Arun Mehta (Skid, India)
- Frank Mulcahy (Information Officer for Disabled People's International, Europe)
- Beverley Milligan (Media Access, Canada)
- Nirmita Narasimhan (Centre for Internet and Society, India)
- Jim Tobias (Inclusive Technology, United States)
- DCAD Annual Report 2021
- DCAD Annual Report 2020
- IGF 2018 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2018 DCAD Paper on the SDGs
- IGF 2017 Workshop No.145 "The Internet of Things and accessibility for people with disability"
- IGF 2017 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2017 DCAD Substantive Paper
- IGF 2016 Workshop No.272 "Sustainable accessibility goals for persons with disabilities"
- IGF 2016 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2016 DCAD Session Description
- IGF 2016 DCAD Substantive Paper
- IGF 2015 Workshop No.253 "Empowering the next billion by improving accessibility"
- IGF 2015 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2015 DCAD Accessibility Guidelines
- IGF 2014 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2014 DCAD Accessibility Guidelines
- IGF 2013 DCAD Session Description and Report
- IGF 2012 DCAD Session Description and Report
- IGF 2010 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2009 Workshop No.110 "Global Internet Access for Persons with Disabilities"
- IGF 2009 Workshop No.540 "Best practices for an accessible web"
- IGF 2009 DCAD Session Report
- IGF 2008 DCAD Session Report
- 2nd DCAD Activities Report - September 2008
- 1st DCAD Activities Report - June 2008
Admin: Joly MacFie – admin[at]igf-dcad.org
Mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org