IGF 2020 Best Practice Forum on Gender and Access
[NEW] Final output report available
The BPF Gender 2020 is pleased to present its final output report –"Gender at the Internet Governance Forum", published on 2 December 2020.
BPF meeting at IGF 2020
The BPF Gender meeting at IGF 2020 took place on 13 November 2020, 11:20 – 12:50 UTC. The session recording is available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSYMlsjgygI
About this BPF
Since its beginning in 2015, the Best Practice Forum (BPF) on Gender and Access has focused on different aspects of women’s meaningful access to the Internet: online abuse and gender-based violence (2015); barriers for accessing the Internet (2016); identification of the needs and challenges of diverse women’s groups with respect to Internet access (2017); the impact of supplementary models of connectivity on women’s Internet access (2018) were the topics addressed by the community; and opportunities and challenges that women face to get the necessary skills to benefit from the future of work. During these years, the BPF Gender has worked in a bottom-up process that allowed to collect, from diverse stakeholders, valuable data and anecdotal evidence of the challenges that formed the digital gender gap.
2020 Work Plan
In 2020, the BPF conduct an assessment of Internet-related policy processes and spaces through a feminist approach, to determine whether and how they protect and foster participation of women and gender-diverse people, particularly young ones. The focus was placed on Internet-related policy processes and spaces that address issues related to violence, harm, pleasure and consent online. For more details, consult the work plan linked below:
- BPF Gender 2020: Gender impact on shaping Internet policy - revised (May 2020)
- Maria Paz Canales Loebel (MAG member)
- Chenai Chair (MAG member)
- Mary Rose Ofianga Rontal (MAG member)
- Marwa Azelmat
- Bruna Martins dos Santos
- Sorina Teleanu (IGF Secretariat consultant)
BPF meetings took place every second Thursday, at 13:00 UTC.
- Online meetings XII & XIII | 15 & 20 October 2020
- Online meetings X & XI | 17 September & 1 October 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting IX | 3 September 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting VIII | 20 August 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting VII | 6 August 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting VI | 23 July 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting V | 9 July 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting IV | 25 June - Summary report
- Online meeting III | 11 June - Summary report
- Online meeting II | 28 May 2020 - Summary report
- Online meeting I | 14 May 2020
Join the mailing list
Stakeholders interested in contributing to the work of this BPF are invited to join the dedicated mailing list. Subscriptions can be done via the link below:
For any queries related to the work of this BPF, please send us an email at email@example.com.